Delicious, versatile, and healthy, avocados are a great addition. While these exotic fruits are famous for their high fat and calorie content, avocados are healthy and nutritious. Due to their oily texture and mild taste, they are ideal for salads, sandwiches and even desserts.
Avocado combines perfectly with various spices and can only act as an ingredient or become the main dish, for example, if we talk about guacamole.
Why you should eat an avocado every day:
1. Exotic fruit contains healthy monounsaturated fats, which are essential for the normal functioning of literally the entire body. They are responsible for the health of hair and skin.
2. Avocado reduces the risk of metabolic syndrome. Research shows that people who regularly eat green fruit are healthier than those who neglect it. Most interestingly, despite the high content of vegetable fats, avocado lovers are slim and fit.
3. Avocado helps regulate blood pressure. Fruits are high in potassium, which is essential to normalize blood pressure. In addition, the risk of kidney and gastrointestinal tract diseases is significantly reduced.
4. This fruit contains a lot of vitamins and minerals (calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, sodium, copper, etc.), due to which the feeling of satiety remains for a long time. With the help of avocado, you can keep weight at the desired level, as the fruit is a healthy alternative to fast food and unhealthy snacks.
5. Avocado improves vision. Every part of the body needs proper nutrition, and the eyes are no exception. The avocado pulp contains large quantities of visual pigments – zeaxanthin and lutein, which protect the retina from the harmful effects of sunlight.
6. Exotic fruit lowers the level of bad cholesterol in the body. Health professionals talk about two types of cholesterol in the body – high-density lipoprotein, or “good cholesterol,” and low-density lipoprotein, or “bad cholesterol.” Research shows that eating avocados can lower bad cholesterol levels.
7. Avocado is an excellent vitamin product for pregnant women. The fruit contains folic acid, vitamin B6 and other vitamins and minerals important for women during pregnancy. They support the normal development of the fetus and the health of the mother. From the second trimester, women should eat about 300-500 extra calories per day. Ideally, those extra calories should be healthy. The average avocado contains about 250 calories, making it a beneficial addition to a pregnant woman’s diet, both in terms of nutrients and calories.
8. Avocados can reduce the risk of cancer. Avocados are believed to have anti-carcinogenic properties. Although more research is needed, scientists believe these substances may reduce oxidative stress in the body and reduce the risk of cancer, especially in the mouth. Eating avocados can help destroy cancer cells in the body.
How to choose and store avocados
You can use a ripe avocado to prepare all kinds of dishes right after you buy it. Just cut it in half, take out the large bone. You can separate the pulp from the peel with an ordinary dessert spoon.
For a quick breakfast, slice avocados, spread slices of fruit on toast, or add them to a salad with leaves and seeds, making it a great vegan lunch. To add flavor, the avocado pulp can be lightly salted and / or a pinch of ground black pepper can be added.
Avocado tastes best when it is “resting” at room temperature the night before consumption. When choosing an avocado in a store, lightly press on it. If the fruit is soft, then the avocado is ripe and ready to eat.
Overly soft avocados are best avoided because they have a bitter taste. For the fruit to ripen faster, it must be placed next to the banana for a couple of days. How to store a natural product? If you have cut avocados, sprinkle them with lemon or lime juice, wrap them in plastic wrap, and place them in the refrigerator. This allows you to preserve not only the color but also the taste of the fruit.